Friday, February 27, 2009

February Critique


My concentration is...
people interacting with their environment. Put more specifically, it is how spatial relationships visually portray personal/ emotional relationships between two people or a person and an object.

The picture on the left shows the relationship between Christina and my puppy. I was first drawn to the concept of the image because they both looked so at peace and I wanted to portray this relationship effectively in a piece of artwork. I was excited to do a more close up, portrait-style piece, which I hadn't really done yet in my concentration as well as work in solely acrylic paint. While I had some technical difficulties while painting and I wish the painting had a little more depth, I am pretty happy with the overall effect of the piece.

The picture on the right is of Monica and her younger sister on a day at the beach a few years ago (when Monica was in sixth grade :] ) I liked a lot of the open space in this picture and the familiarity between the sisters that I saw even though they weren't actively interacting with each other in the moment. I used the same media in this picture as I used in my pine cone piece which was watered down acrylics with pastels; however, in this piece I also used verithin prismacolor pencils for the detailing of their bodies and faces. I like how the rocks turned out and how the shading of their bodies turned out, but getting their faces right was difficult due to the drastic shadows and lack of clarity around their eyes. I also like the picture much better in person, for some reason it looks really blurry on the computer.

6 comments:

MEGAN RAINBOW BRIGHT :) !!! !!!!!!!! said...

both of your pieces are awesome. the one with the puppy online doesnt show how cool it looked in person--the puppy's fur was perfect! you used excellent line quality and brush strokes to portray that. and the open space in the monica one is what really makes the piece come together. i know it's bad but i actually don't have any critique for either one of these, i think they both work fine the way they are.

Karen said...

Your pieces all show excellent craft in the detail of how you paint and draw, but I am not sure if your style alone can tie your entire concentration together well enough...
I think what's missing in the beach piece is a strong light source. I looked closely at the picture and i dont 'think their eyes are defined enough, but it was interesting to combine acrylics and pastels with color pencils, because they work pretty smoothly together. More clearly defined shadows would make the piece a little stronger though. the first piece also might need a more clear light source too, which could also be achieved with some more defined shadows. light source is hard!!

Lindsay said...

The composition of the pieces works well, but I think the beach piece there are a few white spaces by the subjects from where you were painting different colors that need to get some attention. I also agree with Karen about the light source. I don't feel like there is a specific light sorce and the value needs to be pushed a little more.

lhsap2D0809MeganD said...

Your strength is definitely people. In the first piece with the puppy you can really see the detail and I'm sure that it looks even better in person. I like the water one because I love using watered down acrylic I looks like water color but in my opinion it is much easier to work with. The spacing in the beach one is really interesting and useful. The pattern of the rocks are really well done. I am glad you went back and detailed the piece with verithin prismacolor pencil.

Action Jackson said...

the one that you did of christina and da puppy is very good. how you painted the fur gives a texture feeling to the piece, as if i'm literaly petting the dog (bit creepy, but thats what i think). the proportion with Christina and the dog and the balance, as well as proportions, with monica and her sister is exellent.

Anonymous said...

Fur is really hard to paint but you did an amazing job at creating the right texture. And your use of proportion in your second piece really adds to the understanding of the sisterly relationship. Your concentration is super interesting and i think you did a great job of portraying these two relationships.